What should I bring to the sessions?
An open mind and eagerness to participate and improve yourself! There are times you will be up and moving and times you will be sitting, so you may want to bring a jacket or sweatshirt to be comfortable.
What's the Youth Excursion?
The Youth Excursion consists of approximately 60 students from South Dakota who come together to represent their local cooperatives and learn about cooperative values, electricity, and careers in cooperatives.
- The tour includes stops at The Coteau Properties Company's Freedom Mine, Basin Electric's Antelope Valley Station, and Dakota Gasification Company's Great Plains Synfuels Plant in North Dakota.
- Students will learn about careers in cooperatives at Bismarck (North Dakota) State College and Basin Electric, all while making friendships that could last a lifetime!
While on the Youth Excursion, all transportation, meals, admissions to events, and lodging will be arranged for you. Youth Excursion is sponsored by the South Dakota Rural Electric Association (SDREA) and Empower Youth.
What should I bring to the Youth Excursion?
- washcloths and towels
- toiletries, including shampoo and soap
- blow dryer, curling iron
- phone charger
- clothing for three days; don't forget PJs, socks, and underwear!
- close-toed shoes for plant tours
- Items for the bus ride to Bismarck: travel pillow and/or light blanket, earbuds if you plan to listen to music, books or magazines to read on the bus
- snack money for the rest stops along the way
NOTE: Midriff-baring shirts, low-cut tops, very low-rise skirts/dresses, very short shorts, frayed/torn cut-offs, minimal tank tops, and clothing with suggestive and/or inappropriate printing (including alcohol or cigarette branding) ARE NOT ALLOWED to be worn during the Youth Excursion and Empower Youth sessions.